In the past, such tours have been filled with only print and broadcast media representatives. Not any more.
I’m on the tour covering mostly family travel, and other blogging specialists include:
- Rick Calvert, founder, Blog World and New Media Expo – a huge annual blogging conference. He’ll cover the islands as a business and convention destination.
- Leah Lamb, covering eco-tourism and green travel for Current TV. I know she must be intrigued by Hawaii’s recent efforts to invest in clean and renewable energy resources.
- Jim Turner, OneByOne Media and host of the Social Mediasphere show on Blog Talk Radio.
- Shira Lazar, blogging on solo travel for Jaunted.com, the pop culture travel guide.
- Aric S. Queen, producer, writer, podcaster and value travel blogger for the UpTake travel site.
- Mark Tafoya, our tour foodie blogger. He’s a professional chef and co-founder of the Culinary Media Network.
- L.P. “Neenz” Faleafine, a native Hawaiian, Chief Evangelist for Alltop.com and founder of Hawaii-basedPono Media.
By some standards, this social media outreach could be considered a risky move by the HTA, but I think it’s simply smart.
I applaud this major tourism organization for seeking new, more effective ways to use social media to showcase the islands for potential visitors.